The point of your organization is teaching and education?

Do you want to teach people about the way things were or about the way
things will be?

Recreating 40-year-old parts is not the direction I would head if I were
interested in learning and teaching.  Skills like programming an N/C
machine to drill PCBs is a skill set from the 1980s.  No one does this
today.

You really should be training students for the way things will be done in
the late 2020s ad early 2030s and not look back.    So try a
requirements-based path to getting the machines back online.   Even the
idea of using a PC to control a machine is "legacy engineering".  Today we
have cheaper and better things like microcontrollers, ASICs and FPGAs.
 Factories are  more integrated

If I were doing training today, my first step is to beg for interviews with
HR people in the larger manufacturing companies (Ford, GM, Boeing,...) and
ask them who they will be looking for in 5 to 6 years.   Then I'd design
workflows that use those skills the HR guys talked about.

After early retirement I went back to grad school and studied education.  I
learned enough to see that we have a HUGE problem.  So much of our training
is wrong.   Smart kids lean in spite of this but most drop out.   A simple
example is when they try and teach "STEM" enrichment classes to kids in
middle or high schools.   Stand in the back and watch what the kids are
actually doing with their hands and eyes.  Take notes and record data.
 You will find they are following instructions and using hand tools.  That
is not "STEM",  they are training to be semi-skilled laborers, technicians
at best.    How to do better?   It is a hard problem.  I'd base the
solution on building not-for-profit companies that do real work but at a
net loss.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California