Hi all;

I struck out trying to use the otherwise unused memory locations used by
the g52/g92 commands. Writing anything to that area of memory triggers a
show stopper beyond limits error the next time f2 is cycled. Even an
0.00000 where a debug statement said that location was already at 0.00000
will trigger that.

But on one of my other machines I found I was zeroing out some #locations
as RS274_STARTUP_CODE in the ini file. From #4990 thru #4995. That has
been there for years and I don't even remember why I put it in there in
the first place, but it has not ever effected how LinuxCNC runs on that
machine. So my question is:

When is that line of the .ini file actually executed, once at invocation,
or everytime code is run, or at code load time?  3 choices, and I can
tolerate it if its once per linuxcnc invocation.

Second, related question: That area was once added to the .var file,
making whatever was stored there non-volatile, but I just checked the
.var file of that machine and its not now included in the currant .var
file. Am I doing it wrong or has that option been quietly dropped?

Aha!, reading the docs explains that loss, I've broken the chain of that
.var file by deleting it, so its back to the default, That I can fix. But
it looks like that could become the non-volatile storage I need. That
would allow me to even reboot, and rehome the machine and still be able
to restart the job where it was stopped or died as long as LinuxCNC was
gracefully shut down first to refresh the file, storing its current
value...

Thanks for any insite or caveats.

Take care and stay well, all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.