On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 12:57:28 EDT Sam Sokolik wrote:
> wow - I had a hard enough time finding  12mm x 1..  The local hardware
> store actually  had 'jam nuts' in that pitch.  I can't say I have ever
> run across .8  - are you sure? ;)
>
> sam

That was my first reaction too Sam. Not impossible, but to us in the
imperial world thats equ to 31.75 tpi. I've got some 50 tpi in my lathe,
tapered to boot as it was used as a compression nut, worked well but it
was picky to do on TLM. What amazed me at the time was that the first
pass at making the screw and 3 nuts worked the first time.  No redo's to
"get it right".

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 11:47 AM dave engvall <dengv...@charter.net>
wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have a pair of ball screws: THK KX 71227 A
> > These are new but older and as far as I can tell not on the THK site.
> > They are threaded on one end to retain a bearing.

That bearing would be the thrust bearing and is likely a dual angular
contact, one faceing each way so a bit of preload can be applied to get
rid of all backlash from that bearing. Which explains the fine thread.

Have you those bearings that came with those screws, Dave or do you need
to src those too?

> > M15 x 0.8 or close. Does anyone know of a bearing nut that would fit
> > or am I stuck with
> > having a pair custom made?
> > I've spent a fair amount of time searching the web but maybe
> > (probably) someone else's  google foo is better than mine.
> > As always TIA
> >
> > Dave

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)