Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:52:11 -0700
From: "John Dammeyer"<jo...@autoartisans.com>
To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller \(EMC\)'"
        <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Press Brake Gui, was: Re: Variables for,
        instantaneous transit vector, from python?

Not having seen the press brake I'm curious about the need for back gauge
up/down setting.  Why would a press brake even have this?

Is it because the bent section behind the press may be up at an angle and
therefore miss the back gauge?  If so, how much movement is there in the
up/down direction.

Inquiring minds...

John

John - not all brakes do; some might only have manually adjustable t-slots, or nothing at all. This particular model had front-rear travel automated (what they and we called "X"), a vertical travel automated (which they and we called "Z") - that also had additional "flippers" with a manual micrometer adjust so you could effectively do tramming (or even tapers to a certain amount), and then the ram itself which they called Y.

The reason for this is that the tooling meetup point isn't/wasn't standardized - so you might have dies that are 4" tall and a punch to match - or you might have a die that is only 2" tall and use the same punch, or that same short die and a longer gooseneck punch to get into some weird area with little clearance. When you start playing with different meetup points, or progressive bends that don't have the material going in completely flat, then being able to adjust where the backgauge flippers touch vertically is also helpful.

On my personal press brake, all my dies are 2" tall, and apparently all my parts start flat, so the meetup is always going to touch there - which is probably why the manufacturer didn't bother to do much more than a fence on two steel rods.....

TH.