Indeed, it is an interesting approach.
http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm#Scale%20Connector
It may be time to dig out the scope or to upgrade to newer scales and readout. If the glass scale is very good then it is probably worth the fuss ... else.... The chinese scales I got were good but not nearly as good as the accu-rite 150. I've not been able to make the chinese scales play nicely with an accu-rite readout. So I did the whole shebang in chinese as a manual readout X, Y, Z for my mill. Before I removed the X accu-rite scale I checked it at 1 inch intervals against the handwheel for the ballscrew. This is a 1963 Cinci tracer converted to cnc and at this point back to manual. The handwheel checked to 0.001" re the  digital display.
Clearly YMMV.  Best wishes.

Dave