This make a good case for dual independent encoders. motor shaft/ballscrew, ballscrew/glass scale, steps/glass scale, etc. Just for grins I tried the hand crank on my well used (Boeing then trade school, the auction) defunct tracer mill converter by a Russian engineer to cnc for the trade school. 1963 vntage cinci. Comparing the hand crank on the X vs a accurite 5 um glass scale they were dead on (of course only in one direction) ;-) The Y was a mess so I didn't try it. It is relatively easy to clamp a glass scale to the bed, dial it in parallel to the axis then tie it to the spindle with the spindle power carefully disabled and proceed with measurements. Notice I did not say much about a Chinese glass scale. Some are good some not so good. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Dave