On 2/27/23 14:02, John Dammeyer wrote:
Two problems.
One: $249US and two: out of stock at the moment.

When I did my lathe, there was the 7i90HD but at $65, it has no protection for the fpga, its connected directly to the outputs. And I learned 2 things.

1. 7i42TA's were needed between the 50 pin i/o connectors and the real world to protect the fpga from noise or even the normal 5 volts. 3 of those did the trick, but were about $130 added to the original $65, which I blew 3 of learning about #2

2. Single bolt grounding. Meaning ANYTHING grounded, is grounded by stacking its ground wires up on this single bolt. No other grounds allowed. This includes the third pin wire from the line cords static ground.

Without item 2 I had noise on everything reaching beyond the 100 Mhz bandwidth of my scope at the time, and peaking at over 100 volts peak to peak. No wonder I blew 3 cards.

With it rebuilt to satisfy #2, the measured noise dropped to about 200 MILLIVOLTS! That 3rd card is still in it, I just moved the blown circuits to another port.

The 7C80 sounds like all that, could do everything I'm doing with a 7i90HD and 3 7i42TA's plus a spinx1 to control my vfd. With the general rise in costs since 6 years back, $249 seems like a good deal. And I have about 30 i/o left over, way more than enough to run a tool changer like an emco. But I'm not actively looking for one.

Mind you, so is the 7i92H but it was around $89 and with two Chinese BoBs at $5
each comes in much cheaper.

So then the question is both require waiting.  A Pi4 isn't cheap either nor in
stock.

This I haven't tried to run LCNC on, but I bought a 4 pack of banana pi m5's with even more speed than the pi's, for $170, and they are running octoprint, one per printer in my printer farm just fine and as stable as my pi has been. One could probably recompile rpspi.ko to address the gpio used and it might be as simple as that. That same fix would likely make an orangepi work also since it uses the same broadcom gpio core as all the new "pi's".. The voron printers use a can bus to run the hot end running klipper to run the big voron's from an orange pi.

Food for thought. If Peter can supply the 7C80's in a reasonable time frame. Peter?

And an ACORN CNC kit is $329.  Looks like in stock.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html

It's hard to convince someone to go the CNC route with LinuxCNC when all they
want is simple 3 or 4 axis with none of the other amazing features that
LinuxCNC offers.

John