On 6/24/23 23:29, John Dammeyer wrote:
I want to add an encoder onto the back of this stepper motor.  I can install
either a US Digital or a CUI since both mounting flanges can extend out near
the edges of the back mounting plate.

Is there any reason I can't clamp the motor in a vice and pop in two holes
and tap them with a bottom tap at the spacing of the mounting flange?

John

You've got 4 theaded bolt holes there. Jon. 3mmx.5 threaded IIRC. And the heat is not going to be hotter than PETG plastic from a 3d printer to survive long term. So I would layout a thin plastic to bolt to those 4 holes, and would have standoffs to hold the encoder body in the correct position. sticking up with un-threaded holes about 3.2mm in diameter and 3mm deep all the way thru the standoff. The printer will shrink the holes by .4mm making a std 3mm metric screw be self threading. You could do all that in 3mm which should still let the disk for the encoder be mounted correctly. You could also machine it out of 1/8 alu panel. But the plastic would be additional insurance against a ground loop electronically. I could cobble that up in OpenSCAD and have the printer working on it in an hour.

If not fam with OpenSCAD, get familiar with it, its the best designer of 3d printed parts out there. I just got a new printer calibrated a few hours ago, and am about to make a mount for a new, different controller card for another of my printers. From scratch to gluing it into the bottom of a 2 trees sp-5 to replace the OEM controller which has blown for the second time. Will be done and glue setting by around 7AM.

That may have been a little optimistic, I started with OpenSCAD about 3AMm printer warmng up at 4:15, Cura, the slicer says 3+ hours to finished. Halfway thru 1st layer of 24 at 4:33. Everything of a new install except the gcode visualizer working normally on a brand new Creality Ender5 S1, this is its first print. Printer re-flashed with klipper, moonraker and mainsail are supplying the controls thru a web server interface, I can watch it in person, or log into the bananapi m5 running it and see the same thing. Whats not to like? Lights out manufacturing, I'm going back to bed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis