I have some Pi and BBB boards that I use for robotics projects.  I use them
because they are physically small and can run on battery power.  But do people
need that for a machine tool?   Are people building portable battery-powered
CNC milling machines?    If the machine is very heavy and requires AC mains
power then why not make life easy for yourself and use a big old PC.

Seriously, you can buy a good used PC that will run circles around a “BBB” for
not much money.  Add a Measa FPGA card and you are good to go.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883461141?Item=9SIABX7JBU8332
Refurbished: DELL Desktop OptiPlex 3040 SFF Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6500
(3.20GHz) 16 GB DDR4 256 GB SSD DVD Intel HD Graphics 530 Windows 10 Pro Grade A
newegg.com