On 12/26/23 02:35, Linden wrote:

On 2023-12-25 21:56, gene heskett wrote:
On 12/25/23 19:05, Linden via Emc-users wrote:
Hello All,

     In the early stages of converting a 13 x 24 inch manual Chinese lathe to run with Linux CNC.

I have 2 questions regarding replacing the Z axis lead screw with a 3205 ball screw:

  What I am thinking is mounting the fixed end in a pillow block at the head stock end of the lathe and the floating end in a second pillow block at the tail stock end of the bed. The question I have is there any reason I shouldn't  drive the ball screw from the floating end? My logic for driving at the floating (tali stock) end is  1 I have more room for belt reduction at this end and 2  with the fixed end of the ball screw at the head stock end is that the ball screw will be in tension when it is pulling the carriage toward the head stock during cutting and less likely to flex or bend.

The second question I have is what would be a realistic cutting speed range for the ball screw in RPM?  The servo motor I am using has a top speed of 3000rpm and I am trying to figure out reduction ratio that is realistic.

Thats a pretty husky screw. I driving from the headstock end with the thrust bearing at the headstock end of a 25mm by 1450mm screw. Accuracy wise as long as the thrust bearing mount is dead solid it should just work.

Another thing because ball screws and swarf don't mix is seal up the screw areas, so I filled the top of the cross feed and sealed the bottom of the carriage below the much smaller screw driving the cross feed. I also bought a pair of bellows that will extend to around 1400mm and made 4 shouldered barbs that plug into the bellows on each side of the ball nut, and at the bearings, leaving 2 of the the ball nut bolts out but drilling those two empty holes on thru to allow the air trapped inside the bellows to blow through the bolt holes when it is moving rapidly, rapidly in this case might be and end to end of over 1.3 meters at 120 or more carriage speed.

You pay good money for the screws, protect them.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
And I hope everybody has a better 2024.  And had a merry Christmas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Thanks Gene I had not even considered protection for the ball screws I think I will need to scrounge up some accordion tube. My 4 year old son has a plastic one that is about the correct diameter as long as it will put up with hot chips I might try using it and then get some more.

White hot swarf will burn right thru it. What I got for the long screw is rubberized wire re-enforced canvas or? I have not damaged it in about 5 years, yet... I do take a stiff bristled paint brush to clean out the folds occasionally. Put a zerk in the nut I can hit with half a squirt from a std grease gun yearly. The bolt coupling the crossfeed nut to the crossfeed is removed to lube that tiny ballnut so it stays relatively clean & lubed.

The carriage got turned over and the bottom of the screw channel closed up with a strip of alu rack panel except for the rear, glued in place by some sort of metal containing rtv, then the crossfeed slider which was the long version, having removed the taper attachment since linuxcnc can do that was similarly was sealed up by glueing in another strip of paneling above the screw. Now the only way in is if the crossfeed in far enough to expose the screw behind the tool holder pad which replaces the compound with a similar height of cast irom made from a sprew cut off a large car wheel hub. We have in this small town a cast iron facility that makes all the wheels for White Trucks. I went looking for some scrap to make the pads, got handed a sprew that weighed about 35 lbs & they refused any attempt to pay them. I had fun cutting that up with a diamond saw.

Take care, stay warm and well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis