On 12/31/23 12:50, condit.alan--- via Emc-users wrote:
I was using an SSR to turn on the spindle on my PCBMill. By mistake I reached
over and turned off the switch on the router while it was turned on. When I
tried to turn it back on, it no longer worked. I am hoping that I just blew out
the SSR and not the 7i76e. I have a spare SSR. Is there any precaution I should
take for the future?
The only scenario I can imagine is only valid if the router has a soft start circuit like a hitachi mv12 has. Turning it back on before it got stopped might damage that circuit in the router. Does it work from its own switch if plugged straight into the line?

I use big HoymC or Crydom SSR's all over the place but I also trigger them on-off in sequence from timers in my .hal files. Usually in an attempt to start motor supplies which if just slammed with a mechanical switch, will instantly clear a 30 amp breaker from the turn on in-rush, so when I do an on, they get power for the first 4 seconds thru a 50 ohm 200 watt resistor that a second SSR shorts out 4 seconds later after the filters are pretty well charged. With the motor itself limited to about 2x nameplate FLA, I can run my cnc'd G0704 on a legal for 10 gauge wire, 20 amp breaker. At turn off I throw the big resistor back in series for a second then drop the other SSR to turn it all off. Been doing that w/o any SSR failures I caused for about a decade. Had a nearby lightning strike blow one of then to the permanently on state, the only failure I've had.

Does it still work if plugged in direct? And if the SSR is switching a duplex does a test lamp work plugged in beside the router?

Alan
Sent from my iPhone

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.