On 2/9/24 17:06, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
Hello guys, I hope you're doing well

We just purchased a Mori Seiki SL3 lathe that's going to be
retrofitted with LCNC because it has no control.

The machine has a brushed DC spindle motor and from what they told me the
DC drive was not working (I would like to check this but I couldn't find
any info or manuals for this drive, the model number of the drive is
A20B-0008-0372/02). I would like to keep this motor because I like the idea
of having high torque at low speeds because I plan to use a milling and
hobbing attachment with this lathe.

I'm trying to find DC speed controllers of 15 kW or so, just to take a look
at what it's available but it seems difficult to find something that big.
Do you guys recommend any particular brand or source to find such a speed
controller?

Thanks as always.

Leonardo

15kw? That isn't going to be pocket change Leonardo. I'm not any where near that class as my go704 rig current limits at 18 amps into a 1 hp motor with a 90 volt, 9.7 amps for one HP which is a bunch puny for my g0704 mill but its been doing it for about a decade. Stalled it may or may not trip a 20 amp 127 volt breaker. Seems to me you'd need a pretty husky version of Jon Elsons pwm-servo. And ISTR that Peter had some bigger ones in years past. What is your available voltage?

Actually, it might be productive to check the power bugs in it if you got that controller with the machine. It might be easily repairable by a good electronics tech who would have what it takes to look up what he finds in it and find even better replacements. That tech keeps moving on relentlessly. That is the avenue I'd explore if I was on site.

Good luck Leonardo.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)