On 4/10/24 13:03, John Dammeyer wrote:
Hi Gene,
Just like I can't get my head around Fusion360 or similar CAD.
AlibreCAD has gone downhill since they trashed their relationship with
MecSoft which correspondingly trashed AlibreCAM.
I'll take a closer look at your approach later today.

My approaches subroutine will take a loop as the primary slicer because each piece of the scroll will need to start at the root of that slice but the curved pie slice is wider at the outside. The target is to carve each slice from its apex point but widen the rim so that your 3mm wide fin is all that's left, then advance to the apex of the next pie slice. So the subroutine will start at 6 common points around the central axis, and you wind up with 6 3mm wide fins in the scroll shape.

That won't be the most efficient shape but will get you started. To improve the efficiency, that central subroutine will need to be converted to use G4 nurbs to describe the spiral path. But that's for next week. And I expect Andy might have some better ideas on the nurbs points. I have a good idea what they can do but zip about the math involved. Flow thru a venturi etc type math.

Thanks
John

-----Original Message-----
From: gene heskett [mailto:ghesk...@shentel.net]
Sent: April 10, 2024 3:42 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Carving a spiral

On 4/10/24 03:37, John Dammeyer wrote:
Hi Marcus,

Here's the problem.

My Alibre CAD/Cam can produce a spiral slot in a disk using X and Y
motion.

I looked at alibre, could not get my Iowa farm kid head around it. Far
easier for me to write my own gcode.

In linuxcnc, you can trade the axis names around to fit your hdwe.

How far can you tilt your Z? Mine can do a full 90, aka lay the spindle
horizontal.  Either way IIRC. I can then use X as X, A as A, and a
single straight line move to carve the spiral using Z while A is turning
N degrees to carve the spiral. So the gcode then becomes a subroutine to
do that, and a 2nd loop routine to handle the start of the spiral and
possibly a master outer loop to do any incremental cuts to get to the
depth needed. Maybe 80 LOC total.

If your head cannot tilt that far, then you''l have to cobble up a C,
facing up which I CAN do but its a 90/1 drive and will restrict the
speed as It can't turn fast enough. Also has a std stepper motor, push
its speed and it stalls. Someday I'll put a good motor on it.

A Warning though, most of the combo gizmos they sell for $300 or so on
ebay are belt drive and no-where near strong enough for this. I did use
my 90/1 as A when making my tap hats. Used it to drill & tap the 4 grub
screw holes. I setup workstations on the length of the go704's table,
put a piece of brass rod in the spindle, drilled the hole for the tap,
move the brass to a clamp, drilled and tapped for a locking to an r8
collet screw hole, moved the brass to the A chuck and drilled and tapped
all 4 grub screws. All in the same gcode file with pauses and automatic
tlo offset corrections as the drills were different lengths.  Made a
regular production line out of it, took longer moving the brass around
than the total run time for the machine.

If I tell it to use my 4th axis it's like the video you posted.
Designed
for creating a spiral on something horizontal to say the X axis.

I think I'd have to buy the 5th axis capability in order to be able to
have
the rotary table turn while the cutter moves in the X direction as the
spiral is created.

So if I wanted to move the rotary table N degrees while moving X a
spiral
would also be created.  I guess I'm having trouble figuring out the math
for
the G-Code.

It just one command with prelimiinary. in your case position incut at N
degrees

John