Ashley,

That's a really interesting point you bring up about how the normative body is
configured through the realisation of wearable technology (as fantasy?), and
something that philosopher Don Ihde talks about in his book Bodies in
Technology.

Today I met with Isabel Jones of Salamanda Tandem in Nottingham, UK, a company
which works through dance and touch based interaction with people of all
abilities. The company constantly reappraise their working methods, connecting
with other disciplines to learn and share practice. Their sensory environments,
such as Living Space at Rufford last month, are richly interconnected material
and digital spaces facilitated by both dancers and practitioners (based on
person-centred skills rather than formal training), and are completely oriented
to creating a framework for others' creativity and expression. In particular,
towards providing a space and the necessary awareness of value for those with
disabilities who have limited access not just to consuming the arts but to
expression through such practices. While Salamanda Tandem do not work
explicitly with wearable technology, many of the artefacts in these spaces are
formally undecidable enough to be transformed into personal space
 s, bring the larger scale into a more intimate scale. We are currently talking
about how to bring textiles into this environment, both sensing and passive,
although increasingly I have issues with this dichotomy.

I look forward to others' thoughts!

Sarah
DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain
private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case,
please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in
this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent
University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any
attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check
that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping
with good computing practice.