dear all,
we are starting the second week of our workshop-forum,
and after Michael's careful and considerate post, in which he tried to
summarize and interweave some of the thoughts that were moved forward last week,
my role as moderator is made so much easier........ I wish to thank our
discussants from last week for having provided fresh ground for our theme, and
planted some seeds.  I had invited a gardener from the east-midlands to speak
to ask about gardening, but he preferred not to and suggested he was not
keeping up with matters academic. I insisted our forum was not academic, but he
was unmoved.

Well, it is completely open to our other discussants, and you our resonant
soft-skinned studio, to continue the thought-movement.
it's a great pleasure to introduce our guests for this week:

WEEK 2
^ Claudia Robles

Claudia Robles was born in Bogotá (Colombia). Currently, she lives in Cologne
(Germany). She finished studies in Fine Arts (1990)  in Bogotá  (Colombia). She
pursued postgraduate studies such as: Film Animation (1992-1993) in Milan
(Italy), MA in Visual Arts (1993- 1995) in Geneva (Switzerland) and Sound
Design and Electronic Composition in Essen (Germany) She was artist in
residence (2004-2006) at the ZKM Center in  Karslruhe. Her most relevant work
presented there was the piece “Seed/Tree” (audiovisual Installation/Butoh
performance with live electronics). Her currently theoretical and practical
research is about the use of bio-data in real-time multimedia performances.

^ Nilüfer Ovalıoğlu

Nilüfer received her bachelor’s degree in sculpture specializing in stone
carving at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, İstanbul in 2001. She was then
awarded a Fulbright scholarship to study her MFA at State University in New
York at Stony Brook where she prepared a series of video and performance work.
She trained in physical theatre at London International School of Performing
Arts from 2006-08. Physical Theatre has been the master of all her expression.
Since 2002, her practice transformed from digital performance to drama sketches
that unveil the grotesque, researching the bizarre corners of being human. Her
work expands grotesque musical sketch, cabaret, physical theatre and comical
absurd worlds. Her past work consists of elements of these in video and digital
performance. Sh has recently finished her practice based PhD at Brunel
University’s Drama Department, entitled ‘The Female Bouffon’, and is now a
lecturer at Istanbul Aydın University’s Drama Department.

^ Jack Butler
Jack responded to the invitation by writing: It is so very nice to hear from
you. When I read the words, 'the desire for deceleration', I felt my breathing
slow, my blood pressure shift down and my eyes tear over. I think I would like
to join your soft list. Although I have given material form to 'time',
experienced as epigenesis, modeling human embryological development over many
years of trans-disciplinary visual art/medicine research, and experienced time
in sensuous play through daily life with my Inuit art-making collaborators in
the Canadian Arctic, I have never approached my desire for deceleration
(directly or indirectly), with the written word. I would love to know more
about your overarching empyre project and would be please to accept your
invitation to join the October forum. Please let me know how to proceed and I
hope to continue our conversation started on that bench outside the Art Centre
at U of Toronto.*

[Jack is one of the authors/co-editors, with Ruby Arngna'naaq, Sheila Butler,
Patrick Mahon and William Noah, of the amazing book Art and Cold Cash
(YYZBOOKS, 2009), which stages the encounter between “southern” artists and
Inuit artists examining the discourses around money, the complicit and at times
awkward relationship between southern market forces and the changing cultural
climate of the North.]

^ Jennifer McColl

Jennifer is a Chilean dancer, performance theorist, and visual artist currently
based in England. She has finished her MPhil in Performing Art Research at
Brunel University, London, and now resides in Spain.  Her work as a performer
and theorist has deepened on topics related with dance and technology. She has
presented lectures in South America and Europe, and published books and
articles in different countries. Her actual research focuses on the development
of science of work in relation with the integration of technology for dance and
performance in different historical contexts. Her artistic practice is based on
the relationship between body and technology, exploring different media and
disciplines for the generation of body-image compositions. Her actual work
presents a collaborative methodology, focusing on the creation of multimedia
installations that compose architectural environments from where to present the
relationship between body and space.

^  Gordana Novakovic ;

Originally a painter, with 12 solo exhibitions to her credit, Gordana has more
than twenty years’ experience of developing and exhibiting large-scale
time-based media projects. Her artistic practice and theoretical work that
intersects art, science and advanced digital technologies has formed five
Cycles: “Parallel Worlds,” “The Shirt of a Happy Man,” “Infonoise” and “Fugue.”
A constant mark of her work throughout her experiments with new technologies
has been her distinctive method of creating an effective cross-disciplinary
framework for the emergence of synergy through collaboration. Gordana exhibited
and lectured at leading interdisciplinary festivals and symposia, and artistic
and scientific conferences; such as ISEA, Towards a Science of Consciousness
and Mutamorphosis most recently. Alongside her artistic practice, in the last
five years Gordana has been artist-in-residence at Computer Science Department,
University College London, where she has founded and convenes the Tesla Art and
Science Group. She has received a number of international and British academic
awards.

^  Olu.Taiwo

Olu Taiwo graduated from the Laban Centre with an MA in Choreography and wrote
his PhD on Performance philosophy. He teaches dance, visual development and
performance in a combination of real and virtual formats and has a background
in Fine Art. He is an actor, dancer and drummer performing in national and
international contexts. His main interests are to propagate 21st century issues
concerning the interaction between body, identity, audience and technology.
This includes research based on both his concepts of the Return beat (West
African rhythmic sensibility), and the Physical journal (Embodied knowledge and
memory). He performed a lead role in Suna No Onna iand UKIYO [Moveable Worlds],
and developed Harmonious Interruptions. a new piece with Ace Dance co based in
Newbury, and a new solo work, Interfacing. He is particularly interested, at
the moment, in redefining the nature of Practice and being as a goal and state
of becoming. This is to say, Practice as methodology and Alaafia (Yoruba) or
Eudiamenia (Greek) as outcome with the development of techniques as research
data.

with many regards

Johannes Birringer

To subscribe via  the World Wide Web, visit
       http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/empyre

Send your own posting to: