thanks to all of you for this provocative and fascinating opening of round two
of our workshop.
how to condense? and find the various phase states?  it is becoming more and
more complex now, and this is owed to the rich and diversified perspectives of
our
discussants, and also, i feel, their willingness to draw from life and from
their immediate or past experience, their ailments.

let's open the floor for more movement......

- - -
just a couple of questions:

Jack, you began by thinking aloud that choreography (of movement) may be
space-over time (which one could debate, i think it also the other way round),
and
then later mention Sananguargarq --  which you translate as ‘making little
models of how the world works’ (technologies of the hand).  I was so intrigued
by this translation. now if this implies craft
and skill and creativities of adoption and transformation, how do these
durational activities relate to "fatemap" (is this a deterministic concept, or
a processual
notion (mapping?) related to growth or evolution/development?  an unfortunate
name or a paradoxical name not yet able to tell us about "life force” or what
shapes
various survival methods (back to method acting)?  How did you become attracted
to embryology?

When Claudia evokes her work, and the way you, Claudia,  just replied and
mentioned adopting
>different mental states during the performance, (a kind of trance) .......
>the point for me now is how I can achieve that, in order that the audience
>perceives that type of experience too… how can I, as an artist, push the
>audience to experience, their own bodies and the environment during such a
>performance  >>

... I was reminded of your ‘INsideOUT’ performance/installation, and when I
first saw it, your stillness, your 'just' sitting there (with the
electrodes).......... -  I could not connect all of my experience in my mind or
through my body, as it seemed so non-performative (anti-performative),  and the
relationship/connection to projected images, influenced by your brain waves,
was not clear to me.......  (how were these images "fatemapped"?, can one say
this, Jack?)

Much later, i rediscovered Alvin Lucier's piece from 1964 -   "Music for Solo
Performer"  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uuYNKVQNMU), and it made me now
think of your comments and some of the wonderful passages in Olu's,  Nilüfer's
and Jennifer's postings, as well as Elisita's response today.

Now,  I would ask Gordana,  looking at Lucier's [non]performance or
participatory performance for a moment,  and seeing it as meditative
stillness-movement for neural empathy? neuro-sonic empathy [?] , how would you
think of this installation, in regard to what you wrote or seem to plan doing
with your new artaudian project......INTERACTIVE ART being process AND complex
AND interdependant... ?
if i thought along the lines of Artaud's metaphysics of incantatory vibrations
and "sonorous streaming naked realizations" - would this sound from within the
bodymind make me shiver and would it "intensify" me (speed my up) or would it
massage me, like Artaud's snake?  would it traumatize me?    this has been
hinted at (by Nilüfer) but not addressed yet, the problematic side of
stillness-movement and deceleration, when time seems to fade slowly, as fear
makes us nearly frozen, gripping us, not letting us go/breathe * [1]

Claudia, i found an image from your INsideOUT on "surveillant_architectures"
(nice concept):    http://blog.khm.de/surveillant_architectures/?p=353

how would you speak about the notion of "real-time", in comparison with Olu's
philosophical thoughts on "duration time" (not measurable time)?

best wishes
Johannes Birringer

Reference
[1] I try to address this by looking at Artaud's 1947 recording of "Pour en
finir avec le jugement de dieu,"  and the distinction – and convergence –
between experience of pain and performance of pain, and beccoming-mad and
traumatized or traumatizing performance (and I have seen a few decelerated ones
that made my blood curl).   A much more gripping article in the same book, just
published, on the matter of traumatized performance, is by Per Roar, "An
unfinished story: on ghostly matters and a mission impossible," and there is
also Fabrizio's tantalizing essay in Tarantism and butoh.   See
Birringer/Fenger (eds), "Tanz und WahnSinn  / Dance and ChoreoMania", Leipzig
2011. website: http://www.choreomania.org

To subscribe via  the World Wide Web, visit
       http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/empyre

Send your own posting to: