thank you for these provocative and moving contributions we received in the
last few days, which surely will require some time to respond to;

Sonia's and Mine's statements, and Jaime's critique of hypercapitalism,
perceptual technologies and spectacular society, open larger historical and
political horizons, and mechanisms that also reverberated through Gordana's,
Sérgio's,
and Atau's postings or Michèle;s responses -- i hope we'll have a lively
discussion in the next few days

we can debate the matters brought forth, until Monday,  and on through the
remainder of the month (on Monday we are joined by the rest of our cast;
we'll miss Dee Reynolds until then, as she had to attend to urgent family
matters, so in the meantime, a Canadian guest has wanted to contribute
some research findings on deceleration, and I am delighted to welcome him:

^ F Scott Taylor

Principally a Communications Theorist and Techno-culture Critic,  Scott resides
in Toronto, Canada.  When writing in these capacities, he specializes in
analyzing the affect of telecommunications on individual, social and cultural
psycho-pathology.  At present he is completing "The Dismantled Mouth: Of Social
Autism," a text describing how telecommunications contribute to autist-like
behavioural patterns.  A recent article in the International Journal of
Performance Arts and Digital Media  concerns the chronic loss of referential
forms of thought (metaphor, analogy, metonymy) through the influence of digital
media, and the affect of this upon performance comprehension and critique.
Earlier, shorter works can be accessed at http://www.cyberstage.org. Scott
jokes that he comes by his trade honestly since he works in the tradition of
Marshall McLuhan, who directed his graduate work, and for whom he was a
stand-in lecturer during the 1970s.  Since then, Taylor has written and
directed many multi-media, multi-disciplinary theatre works some of which have
been produced across Canada, at two seasons of the Edinburgh Festival, and
throughout the United States and Europe, most notably, perhaps, at Pompidou
Centre.  In addition, he has been active on the Executive Board of The Subtle
Technologies Association (http://www.subtletechnologies.com).

with regards
Johannes Birringer

To subscribe via  the World Wide Web, visit
       http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/empyre

Send your own posting to: