dear Dee,
midnights are not real deadlines, ever.

that was just a way saying we somehow have to be still, just as the little
thing on top of the Hong Kong tower in Igor Štromajer and Brane Zorman's
"Ballettikka Internetikka Stattikka --- Almost Static but Still Transitive Net
Ballet"

and excess is productive, I remember Bataille saying something to this effect,
and you help me to think through this idea of the political of corporeity and
affective empathy, and i take it that empathy then has clearly an ethical
dimension as well.

not quite relevant footnote:   i was also reading about the histories of Kabuki
today, and the kind of tribal game that the actors played with other actors
(see Taylor for the ethnographic textures, the other day, via "Mimesis and
Alterity: A Particular History of The Senses"), and in the Histories book this
is referred to as "mimetic excess."   Dancing out and (as Fabrizion has
written), un-dancing, thus becoming (also laughing and making you laugh), but
in a most creative and most amorphous manner, perhaps on occasion
vertiginously.    Ah, Branden's cockpit allegory, i have to dream it.

so good night for now

regards
Johannes

Dee Reynolds schreibt:

Johannes, you always ask probing questions! you have been a great choreographer
of these discussions, always pushing things further in interesting ways.
I'll try to respond - a bit improvised, as the midnight hour draws nigh . . .
I think that the potential of the notion of 'corporeity' lies largely in its
link with history, both singular and collective. This is how I would like to
see it developed. Pre-movement, which founds corporeity, is a kind of
kinesthetic affect which becomes culturally and politically significant when it
registers in and across bodies, causing sensation to become reflexive, through
excess which is not 'captured' as a concept but registers as escape.
This reflexivity of  sensation, I would suggest, is distributed across bodies
(in kind of affective empathy) at historical moments of particular intensity
and crisis. When this happens, the registering of affect can produce behaviours
of resistance, which is what we are seeing at the moment, ranging from the
political with a big to a little p and across a spectrum inbetween, and whose
effectiveness remains to be seen.
I didn't manage to finish by midnight so I don't know if this excess will be
effective or not so will attempt to send and see what happens!!
in any case, many thanks for this invite, Johannes, and to all for
inspirational sharings . . .
best
Dee

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Johannes Birringer