Hi  Johannes, Ioana, Gabriel, and all,
Thank you for your comments and great questions. Not easy to answer, I have
to admit, but I will give it a go.

Johannes thank you for your response. Unfortunately I would agree, there is
very little joy about/in academia at the moment and as we know there are
many individual and collective struggles all around us and I am sure some on
the list might be involved in them in different ways.  But before I move on
I want to make a little correction as in your writing mine and Ioana's posts
were merged into one coming from the same person which perhaps suggests a
proximity of our concerns, but as they were articulated by two different
people I wanted to make that distinction.

Ioana's questions are so well articulated and focused: 'How can I embody and
live what I theorize, without letting it close down my possibilities of
experiencing? How can I make of my performance-making practice a learning
experience (that materializes in some kind of knowledge acquisition or
understanding) rather than an application of the theoretical outcomes of my
research? (How) am I to justify my art practice in relation to my
theoretical research and demonstrate its relevance to the latter? (this
question matters because mine is a theory-focused PhD; its outcome will be a
dissertation)'.   And I would be curious to hear more on this.

Johannes, your post touched on so many important issues. What I enjoyed a
lot was your description of what you called 'tough luck', actually it made
me lough aloud, because I imagine this is exactly the kind of luck that most
of those doing practice based PhD's have and again each of us deals with it
in a different way. It seems to be an accompanying issue to work with on top
of all the original questions that I started my PhD with.  I am sure it is a
widely shared experience.

>> Magda, i would think your performance practices and the curating
experiments are interface enactments and they are lived of course, and yet
you might agree, they can be recorded, they can be edited, narrated,
mythologized, and written up or down meshed with images....... >> (Johannes)

>> Another seemingly paradoxical relation I'd like to hear more about is
that between commoning and curating. In your work, do you actively make an
"emancipatory" effort to move away from "directed commoning" and towards
"collective curating"? Or you try to pay close attention to how both vectors
interact in the course of instituting? How much self-awareness is involved
in this process?>> (Menotti)

>> I would be curious to see how do you relate these hardships of
categorisation to the skype logs of the common practice project, which seem
to be an interesting way of writing/ preserving that fully embraces the
metamorphosis that result from translation (or a transport in time).>>
(Menotti)

I situate common practice and my research around curating within what I
consider to be a new context for curatorial strategies with reference to
social technologies that claim to redistribute power relations. Common
practice critically operates in a network environment and pragmatically
points to the specific problems characteristic to network society which are
labour organisation and its condition (free and immaterial labour) in the
environment in which creative co-production of knowledge takes place
non-stop and contributes to creating what often has been defined as digital
and immaterial commons as well as new forms of enclosures which also
accompany this process. Thus in my research around curating and commoning
(understood after De Angelis as  'the social process that creates and
reproduces the commons') I take into account the new context which is
defined by the changing character of production which becomes biopolitical
production invested in production of subjectivity.  In that context the
question of recording is hugely important indeed because it is about what I
record and if I record at all (in which case it is a tough luck when it
comes to my PhD, though hopefully I will come up with some solution) . On
the other hand there are already recordings of the session which are
available on the wiki where the common practice is stored, in theedited
versions of skype text chat conversations, as well as original chat
discussions, wiki history which follows changes, etc. It seems to me that
the only way to interact with those, outside of the actual session as it is
happening, is through mythologizing, narrating, interpreting, etc.
I am not sure what is meant by the concept 'directed commoning'. More
explanation would be. Common practice is not about curating collectively
either. The research  is about investigating the conditions (social,
technological, institutional, political) in which curating takes place
versus a desire (yes, utopian most likely) to on one hand not to be
subjugated to those conditions and at the same time not to subjugate others
to them.  Linking curating with the concept of the commons is probably not a
tactic in this case, but a strategy, or methodology  if we want to stick to
the research language, to investigate biopolitics of 'curatorial'.

With all best,
Magda