Yes of course an exhibition can be a text or a story or a narrative. I saw
my friend Alfredo Jaar's exhibition "The Lament of the Images" in Documenta
in Kassel. Alfredo made some text which could be read as a light path, when
the light path was ended you found two iconic images, one featuring Nelson
Mandela freed after 27 years in prison in Robben Island  and the other one
with the first Moonwalk.
Both images are now owned by Corbis/Microsoft and are buried in a vault
down in Salt Lake City to prevent them from aging.
Alfredo created a very intimate relation between the text and the two
images and it was mourning and it was grief and it was a wonderful
narrative experiment where the text prepared the eye and the soul for your
encounter with the images.
Ana