What happens on email lists is performative on the level of the structure; with people leaving, the list can disappear. So you must have moderation. There's another list I know of, for example, that deals with suicidal people (the moderator actually killed himself - I'm not sure it's still running); my co-founder of Cybermind was on it (who also died, young, of more or less natural causes, a long story - his death set the tenor of the list for a long time), and told me that it was tightly controlled; it had to be. One of the greatest tragedies of the commons was what happened on the newsgroups - most of which were unmoderated; after AOL released about two million subscribers onto the Internet proper, and after the net was (more or less) privatized, they were hit with so much unstoppable spam, that they stopped functioning altogether as communities.

- Alan