Hello list

As a newbie on this list, I am very pleased to be part of this discussion and
conscious that I do not know the history of the list very well.

Nevertheless, I did attend ISEA, and was involved in several panels including
co-chairing one with Margie Medlin, the director of Critical Path, the dance
development agency in Sydney.

The Panel we ran was titled The Sustainability of Future Bodies (roundtable).
It was planned as a roundtable in that we were interested not so much in having
the stella cast at the table present their work in detail, but to act as
expert/experienced discussant's, provocateurs… in a discussion that would draw
on the expertise of those in attendance (in the audience) as much as the expert
panel.

We did however start with a number of prepared slides containing provocations
for discussion - which in the end we didn't use - the collected body of
practitioners was more than ready for a group discussion and the session passed
by is a flash…

Never the less I will share with you the provocations we prepared:

        • In the future, how will the intelligence of the body inspire digital
performance tools ?
        • What does it mean to innovate with the body?
        • Does the demand to constantly innovate mean we are currently failing ?
        • Is it important  that the audience understand the nature of
interaction?
        • How do we negotiate, convey and activate an artistic proposal without
the need to consider a dumbing down of ideas?
        • If our ability to cooperate and to collaborate, to get on with each
other is one of the most pressing issues of this milieu, how might we create
situations of play, immersion and interaction that foster interconnectedness
and enable a receptivity to difference, the other and the not yet foreseen
bodies of the future?
        • How have notions of Agency changed in mediated performance?
        • How have notions of embodiment changed, expanded or transformed, in
mediated performance?

We were interesting in drawing the maturity of practice in the room to consider
questions of sustainability of that practice in an evolving landscape. Thinking
about interaction in performance, questioning the way in which interactive
performance systems, change, iterate, subjugate, extend the body. Contemplating
where the body begins/ends and the mind, system, otherness fades in….  the
seam…

Cheers, Garth