Bundanon and Tate are two ideals, utopian places that actually exist. As an
artist who has had the pleasure of working at Bundanon twice I am very
appreciative of its qualities, especially in respect of how that facilitate
intense research and creative practice. As a regular visitor to Tate Modern I
am also appreciative of its strengths (The Tanks initiative, in particular, was
terrific).

Perhaps the dystopian 'other side of the coin' here is Marc Auge's notion of
the non-place - those places that are more and more pervasive in our daily
experience; the airport, shopping mall, university library or worker's
lunchtime atrium. The non-place offers a simulacrum of the familiar and safe
but strips out anything particular. It is a desolate space that can only
inspire through highlighting what it lacks.

Bundanon is the very opposite of this, as is the Tate with its out of the
ordinary scale and architectural style. Sadly, at the Tate, once you are in the
exhibition galleries it pretty much resembles any other white cube museum space
and becomes something of a non-place itself. The Tanks were interesting as
their industrial purpose was not cloaked with white paint and deodoriser. The
raw concrete, oil stains and sweet scent remained, the art co-existing with the
place it temporarily inhabited.

How many of our mediale spaces, the social and other media platforms we use,
are similarly non-places? Is facebook itself a large scale virtual non-place?
That idea seems pregnant with redundancy and subsequent loss.

best

Simon