Dear all,

Thank you for those very helpful reflections, Adam! I think it is correct to
say that I, like Esposito, am interested in developing something like an
affirmative biopolitics, and I see bioart as a means for generating some of
the strategies, concepts, and ethics that would be part of such an
affirmative biopolitics. Or, to put this another way, though there are many
aspects of contemporary biopolitics that I find quite problematic and
worrisome, and which I think need to be opposed, I'm not sure that one best
opposes these negative aspects by abjecting or opposing biopolitics in
general. (Nor, to be honest, am I sure what opposing biopolitics tout court
would even mean, given that we are all fully enmeshed in various forms of
biopolitics already.  This fact was brought home to me yet again as I found
myself a few weeks ago essentially forced to allow my 3-month old daughter
to receive some inoculations that strike me as absolutely unnecessary for a
child--e.g., hepatitis B, which only lasts for 10 years, but for which
children are at incredibly low risk--so that she would receive inoculations I
did feel made sense, and, equally important, so that she could later attend
daycare and school, as North Carolina requires _all_ of these inoculations
for school attendance.)

At the same time--and in a sense propelling me along the same lines--my
reflections have been spurred by Adam Zaretsky's astute observation, made a
few years ago, that though death is an absolutely integral aspect of bioart
(e.g., developing bioart projects often requires that many cells, or in some
cases, whole organisms, are either killed or allowed to die; the media that
many bioart projects require is derived from other animals; etc.), the role
of death in my book on bioart was far from clear. I was perhaps especially
compelled by Adam's point because in some of my other work on the economics
of contemporary medical research and healthcare, I've been critical of what
I see as the basic "life-extension" logic of much contemporary healthcare
research and practice: i.e., the assumption that "more life" is always good,
no matter what the quality of that life, which in the end seems to be an
effort to ignore the reality that each individual will die. And so I am
interested in developing a biopolitical ethic in which one's own mortality
is not denied.

Thus, like Esposito, I find myself wanting to affirm life in such a way that
one doesn't end in the immunitary logic of seeking to protect "good" lives
by killing "bad" lives; at the same time, I want to recognize the fact of
mortality and death, and to develop an ethic of "leading a life well-lived"
that acknowledges one's own mortality. And I take seriously Cary Wolfe's
point (noted by Adam below, and developed by Cary in _Before the Law_) that
indiscriminately valuing all life without any regard to species distinctions
lands one in the same problems discovered by early Deep Ecology theorists:
i.e., an inability to make distinctions, so that one is forced to end up
valuing, say, anthrax as much as the cattle or humans that anthrax kills.

My sense is that the concept of population, understood in the ways I develop
below, provides a way of mediating between these various goals/interests
that I outline above. I am, of course, eager to hear whether others find
this to be the case as well! (And while this post too is over the 300 word
limit, it is at least much closer to that word count . . . )

Best,

Rob