STATEMENT BY
NOELEEN HEYZER, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF UNIFEM
For the International Day against Violence Against Women

It has been only two years since the UN General Assembly adopted 25
November as the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against
Women. The international community has recognized that efforts to confront
gender-based violence are central to human security and development remain
strong. Women's groups have been commemorating 25 November as a day to end
violence against women for many years. Women and men in over 100 countries
now hold public events and campaigns that begin on 25 November and
culminate on Human Rights Day, 10 December. It is notable how the actions
and networks to end violence against women have joined forces across
nations, ethnicities, race, class, caste and other diversities. Violence
against women is universal and the struggle to put an end to it involves
each and every one of us.

We have seen, over the past few months, the threat to human and global
security that intensifies to the breaking point when we ignore abuses to
women's human rights. We failed to act meaningfully when Afghan girls were
prohibited from going to school, when Afghan women doctors and teachers
were prohibited from going to work, when women were beaten for what they
wore. What happened to women in Afghanistan was not just a women's issue,
an issue of tradition or culture, or a problem that needed to be dealt
with in the private sphere. On the contrary, what happened in Afghanistan
demonstrated that the way in which a country or community treats women and
protects and promotes their human rights, is one of the best early warning
indicators of its respect for international norms and standards.

We have achieved a great deal internationally and nationally in our
advocacy and activism to end gender-based violence. And 25 November is the
appropriate time to celebrate those achievements. We have a UN Declaration
on the Elimination of Violence against Women, agreed to in 1993. We have a
UN Special Rapporteur on the Issue of Violence against Women, its Causes
and Consequences appointed in 1994. We have a Trust Fund to End Violence
against Women established by the General Assembly in UNIFEM in 1996. We
have achieved the recognition of rape as a war crime against humanity in
1998. And in 2000, we had a historic session on Women and Peace and
Security in the Security Council which produced the landmark SC Resolution
1325 and heightened interest in understanding the impact of war and armed
conflict on women and the roles of women in peace-building. Most
importantly, at the national level, laws that recognize domestic violence
and rape as crimes against women are being passed and implemented in an
increasing number of countries. We have accomplished so much, and yet the
scourge of violence in general, and violence against women in particular,
seems to be increasing.

We need to learn from the small victories and achievements in addressing
gender-based violence that can be scaled up to become norms, standards and
public policies. I would like to highlight three lessons that UNIFEM has
learned from the ways in which women are organizing to address violence
and build long-lasting peace:

* Women are developing innovative ways to challenge the use of tradition
as a rationale for continued violence. Projects from UNIFEM's Trust Fund
in Support of Actions to Eliminate Violence against Women, for instance,
demonstrate how women's groups work with religious leaders, families and
communities to change attitudes and practices towards female genital
mutilation and so-called honour killings. Family by family, community by
community, these projects are building respect for the lives of women and
girls and an understanding that gender-based violations are not integral
to any tradition or culture.

* Women are investing in long-term public education and awareness
campaigns to reach people's minds and hearts. The UN Inter-Agency regional
campaigns to end gender-based violence that UNIFEM coordinated in 1998 and
1999 developed powerful messages that resonated with policy makers and the
public. The slogan " A Life Free of Violence: It's Our Right" was used for
many of these campaigns. This slogan is equally relevant in the aftermath
of September 11th to stimulate broader coalitions for peace and social
justice. Over the past year, UNIFEM has convened groups in every region to
learn techniques for strengthening advocacy strategies to end gender-based
violence. These groups have affirmed that without changing people's
attitudes and behaviour in the most profound ways, progress on eliminating
violence will be limited.

* Women are linking the need for social and economic rights to notions of
human security. Conflicts arising from the growing gaps between rich and
poor must be addressed. The terror of poverty, hunger, HIV/AIDS, and
inequality are the seeds that spawn social fragmentation and violence.
UNIFEM is supporting women to build economic literacy, to understand
economic policy-making, to analyze national budget processes from a gender
perspective. These are the kinds of long-term efforts that will result in
broad-based policy dialogue and the creation of sustainable solutions to
social fragmentation and problems without borders.

The events of the past several months have demonstrated, as powerfully as
ever before, the importance of coalitions to end violence, to value human
rights, and to speak out forcefully against injustice. No single country,
agency or sector of society - no matter how powerful - can ensure human
security and confront massive abuses to human rights on their own. In an
era of globalization, people, money and ideas move across national borders
in the blink of an eye. In an era of globalization, the common values and
ethics that we develop to guide our interactions with each other --
whether as states, organizations, or individuals -- are the best
foundations to build a global dialogue on peace and craft a vision for a
more secure human future.

Source: http://www.unifem.undp.org/speaks/25november2001.html