>>  Here is the funny part: How does a Mozilla-Evas
>> plug-in sound?

>This would buy you what, realistically, as far as
buy-in goes?

>...What (possibly only percieved) benefit do people
get from
>installing the plug-in, and what reason do web
content creators have to
>use the format?

>...SWF fills a need for bandwidth-friendly
animation...
>...downloading and installing...

You're very much concentrating on the WWW. I would
like to remind you that Mozilla is not just a web
browser,
and SWF is not just used for creating web content. I
cannot talk about this issue in  detail. Sorry.
Raster gave excellent answers to both of us anyway.

But... Since you have written 3 paragraphs on the web
theme, I will try to reply to your claims from that
point of view.

  It is true that SWF is bandwidth-friendly. And it
would be a  disasterous mistake to suggest that
broadband internet(>512K, mostly 1.5-2M) will not be
widespread (even in so-called underdeveloped regions)
in a few years.  Macromedia, along with others, is
definitely looking into this fact.

  And let's suppose one of those companies decided to
go open-source. The lead programmer likes a  project,
say
for the mailing list's sake, EFL. They start pouring
millions on it. Then with the release of Longhorn
2008, you
suddenly see X plugins/players/gadgets...  doing all
sorts of things on the WEB, for the WEB,  you cannot
even imagine.

No more on this plugin/web issue please, it is rather
vague at this time; unrelated to EFL.