On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:13:21 -0600
Nick Hughart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My thoughts on this would be to leave the valign as is and implement a
> way to adjust the line height independent of the font size so that the
> valign will actually mean something.  Then make sure that the align
> property for the part actually works.  This seems the most logical to
> me, anyone else?

If you're adjusting the line height independently of the font size, won't that
mean that lines get run together at some font sizes, or maybe even at unusual
dot pitches (such as are found in embedded devices)? Also there's the opposite
possibility of lines being spaced ridiculously far apart. Either possibility
would break edje's claim to making it easy to adapt nicely to different screen
resolutions.

I'm not sure I understand Thomas' issue right, but if I do then it sounds like
a bug to me. If you are packing a multi-line text block into a larger
container, then expected behavior for a valign value corresponding to "center"
would be to align the vertical center of the text block with the vertical
center of the container. An exception might be if the valign of the text widget
is specifically meant to apply to the first line only, in which case I would
question it's usefulness.

Without knowing anything of the edje code, (or Thomas') all I can suggest as a
possible "gotcha" is that the total line-height of a font does not correspond
to it's size in points or pixels. It is the font's size plus the line spacing,
leading to use the proper term, and fonts always have some built-in leading.
It's a simple error, but could possibly have been made in the edje code for
vertical-aligning blocks of text.