On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:28:32 -0300 Andres Blanc <andresbl...@gmail.com> said:
okie dokie... :)

> Before anyone else spends a second creating or editing existing website or
> wiki content we need to sort this project's face out. The current website(s)
> and wiki(s) are a mess, to continue to add content without sorting this out is
> simply a waste of time. As I see it we have three veins:

indeed. website was meant to be a simple 1-level deep brochure only. the
top-level links at the top were only meant to be as far as you had to click.
there's also too much e16 stuff thats prominent with not much on efl + e17 and
marketing and saying how great e is etc. :)

> 1. Project promotion (this includes news).
> 2. Community support and documentation.
> 3. Community resources and applications.
>
> These three fit perfectly in three websites:
>
> 1. E.org
> 2. Trac
> 3. Exchange

for now, #3 i'd put at the bottom of priority, and trac as #2. in the order you
have them. sold #1 first - then move stuff to #2 that has been ejected from #1,
or just put new content in #2. #3 for now put aside as thats more about data
and app downloads.

> But outside of this we have a wealth of internal sites and subdomains that is
> a real mess, I can easily find 5 different guides of installing e17. We need
> to cut this out and fit the corresponding content in the corresponding venue.

hell yeah.

> Before writing anything else let me say: We need to show Exchange more
> love, in the backend and the frontend, to make it more appealing for external
> application developers to announce their project news and updates there. This
> produces dynamic lists and content we can reuse without effort and without
> forcing them to create pages on our wiki and update some application table on
> the wiki.

sure - but AFTER #1 and #2 are sorted imho.

> I didn't write much about exchange in the new TODO [0] and SITEMAP [1] files I
> uploaded recently, but as I dig out and research what we have and the way
> other similar projects are organized I realize that having a wealthy and
> active exchange is a winning move.
>
> [0] http://www.enlightenment.org/dev/README.html#todo
> [1] http://www.enlightenment.org/dev/SITEMAP.html
>
> I thought both of these files were more or less complete, but as I said the
> more I dig the more I find and their content might be out of date compared to
> this mail.
>
> I ask you to review these files after reading this mail and let me know what
> you think, we need to agree to some structure at least in our facade.
>
> The other subject of this mail are the subdomains. I'm talking not about the
> services they provide in the backend but what is presented when a simple http
> request is done on the root folder.
>
> http://forum.enlightenment.org/
>     We need an user forum but having users to register multiple times in
>     multiple sites is ridiculous so I suggest to REDIRECT this to a trac page
>     using DiscussionPlugin: http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DiscussionPlugin
> instead of the current forum.
>     I don't have the permissions to do this or anything else outside the SVN
>     tree but I would gladly take the time to install this if asked to.

forum - from my point of view - should either work properly as a first class
citizen or be ditched. i never use it - look at it or anything else. i think
most devs dont. having such a split community is bad. i'd rather have no forum
vs a badly tended to and not-attended forum.

> http://svn.enlightenment.org/
>     REDIRECT to a wiki page that explains how to download either the full SVN
>     tree or specific folders, as an anonymous and as a registered user.
>     Installation of E17 is covered by linking to the installation section of
>     the E17 user guide.

yes.

> http://docs.enlightenment.org/
>     REDRECT to a wiki page containing basically the same info, internal files
>     will be served as requested.

what will u do with auto-generated docs? they are directly linked from the
current docs page

> http://trac.enlightenment.org/
>     REDIRECT to http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/

i swear i made this work before.

> http://packages.enlightenment.org/
>     REDIRECT to a wiki page containing the same info, Files that do not use
>     the repository system (like window packages) should be in Download and
>     pointed from the wiki page.

that depends - redirect just base or everything? the package pools for apt need
to stay. but a wiki page would be good to hold that content.

> http://download.enlightenment.org/
>     Should remain as the point of manually downloading anything E related
>     outside SVN. We can update the look and feel of the directory listing to
>     match the rest of the site and including links to wiki pages that might
>     be of interest.

that'd be nice. but yes - a simply download file tree is whats good here.
anything else (wiki, main site etc.) will invariably point to specific files or
directories here.

> There are other sites and subdomains that should be merged into these three
> veins I talked about and can be found in the stage 3 of the todo list:
> http://www.enlightenment.org/dev/README.html#stage-3-design-of-external-sites-and-doxygen
>
> I have read all mails written about this in the past and I traced my plans
> taking every idea into consideration, but if you feel I missed one make sure
> to let me know.

ok - sitemap... this needs attention. home page probably should be what it is
now - or roughly. artists - not sure that gets a whole page? well not at this
stage. but the most important thing here is - download... where? main page and
no main links to download. that should be a main page that points to: svn,
source tarballs/releases, package repositories.

if there is a whole desktop link - there should be a whole "devices" or
"embedded" or "mobile" link. as such i think desktop should just be dropped. or
maybe changed to something that covers everything efl does