Gregory Kriehn wrote:
> I noticed this conversation regarding not being able to get entrance to
> work with FC5.  Well... I just installed FC5 about a month ago, and I've
> solved the problem.  Someone is going to have to make some changes to
> the scripts/config files to get this to work permanently though.
>
> BACKGROUND:
>
> 1.)  Configuration for /etc/entrance_config.cfg
>
> Currently, entrance is setup for a system that still uses X11R6 from
> "X.org" instead of the new X11R7 files.  You can check this with the
> following command:
>
>      sudo ecore_config -c /etc/entrance_config.cfg -a
>
> Look at the last line.  If will say:
>
>      /entranced/xserver string "/usr/X11R6/bin/X -quiet -nolisten tcp
>      vt7"
>
> Because of this, entrance will not launch successfully.  It certainly
> tries, as can be verified by checking your /var/log/messages file, but
> fails because "X.org" uses X11R7 under FC5.  Notice the release notes of
> Fedora Core 5.  See the third point, in particular.
>
> -----
>
> The following list includes some of the more visible changes for
> developers in X11R7:
>
>    * The entire buildsystem has changed from imake to the GNU
>       autotools collection.
>
>    * Libraries now install pkgconfig *.pc files, which should now
>       always be used by software that depends on these libraries,
>       instead of hard coding paths to them in /usr/X11R6/lib or
>       elsewhere.
>
>    * Everything is now installed directly into /usr instead of
>       /usr/X11R6. All software that hard codes paths to anything in
>       /usr/X11R6 must now be changed, preferably to dynamically
>       detect the proper location of the object. Developers are
>       strongly advised against hard-coding the new X11R7 default
>       paths.
>
>    * Every library has its own private source RPM package, which
>       creates a runtime binary subpackage and a -devel subpackage.
>
> -----
>
> As you know, this has caused many headaches for people (including
> myself), because developers for particular packages have not had time to
> change their source code before the release of FC5.  Specific to
> entrance, notice that it looks for "X" in "/usr/X11R6/bin" instead of in
> "/usr/bin", where everything is now installed.  But this can easily be
> fixed.  Simply run the command:
>
>    sudo ecore_config -c /etc/entrance_config.cfg -k /entranced/xserver
>     -s "usr/bin/X -quiet -nolisten tcp vt7"
>
> Now run:
>
>    sudo ecore_config -c /etc/entrance_config.cfg -a
>
> The last line should now say:
>
>    /entranced/xserver  string  "usr/bin/X -quiet -nolisten tcp vt7"
>
> You are now capable of running entrance in FC5.  But only if
> the /etc/entrance_config.cfg file is not changed again.  It would be
> good to set this up so that when entrance is installed on FC5, it points
> to the proper directory automatically.
>
> 2.)  Location of the Xsession file.

> [...]
At last, a fellow FC5 user that is also running E17.

Your procedure was very helpful for reconfig entrance to look in
/usr/bin using ecore_config.  Worked fine for me.

for Xsession issue I did something different:

[1]  in /etc/sysconfig/desktop change from "GNOME" TO "E17"

[2] in /etc/X11/prefdm edit as follows:

========

# Run preferred X display manager
preferred=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
        if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
                preferred=/usr/sbin/gdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
                preferred=/usr/bin/kdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
                preferred=/usr/bin/xdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = E17 ]; then
                preferred=/usr/local/sbin/entranced
        elif [ -n "$DISPLAYMANAGER" ]; then
                preferred=$DISPLAYMANAGER
        fi

========

note addition of E17 items.

[3]  in /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession edit as follows:

========
# now, we see if xdm/gdm/kdm has asked for a specific environment
case $# in
1)
    if [ -x "$SWITCHDESKPATH/Xclients.$1" ]; then
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SWITCHDESKPATH/Xclients.$1";
    fi;

    case "$1" in
    failsafe)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0"
       ;;
    gnome)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT $DBUS_LAUNCH gnome-session"
       ;;
    Enlightenment)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT $DBUS_LAUNCH enlightenment"
       ;;
    kde|kde1|kde2)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT $DBUS_LAUNCH
$SWITCHDESKPATH/Xclients.kde"
       ;;
    twm)
        # fall back to twm
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT $DBUS_LAUNCH
$SWITCHDESKPATH/Xclients.twm"
       ;;
    *)
       # GDM provies either a command line as the first argument or
       # provides 'failsafe', 'default' or 'custom'.  KDM will do the
       # same at some point
       if [ "$1" != "default" -a "$1" != "custom" ]; then
           exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSH_AGENT $DBUS_LAUNCH $1"
       fi
       ;;
    esac
esac
fi

=======

note addition of Enlightenment items.

On reboot these changes brought up entrance for login rather than gdm.