On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM, BT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm writing a small full-screen app with E17 libraries evas/ecore, running on
> an ARM920T platform with 800x480 16bit screen.
>
> Development so far has been under X, optionally with the app grabbing the
> full screen.
> Performance is at times poor (e.g. gliding a full-screen image into view),
> so I switched to using the framebuffer hoping for some improvement.
>
> Instead, performance is much worse.
> Events scheduled for 0.1 sec are running at about 1 per sec, with the CPU
> maxed out
> (while images are being moved on the screen).
>
> When enabling framebuffer, have I forgotten to do something?
>

> Some details:
>
> The target has no keyboard, only a touch screen. I have built ecore with
> tslib.
> The ARM9 target runs diet-X11, thus:
>
> :  xinit /etc/X11/Xsession -- /usr/bin/Xfbdev :0 -br -pn -mouse tslib -screen
> 800x480)@0x16 -dpi 133 -rgba rgb
> :  /usr/bin/Xfbdev :0 -br -pn -mouse tslib -screen [EMAIL PROTECTED] -dpi 133
> -rgba rgb
>
> and my app uses ecore_evas_software_x11_16_new() to create an Evas_Ecore.
>
> With or without X running, I can instead start my app so it uses
> ecore_evas_fb_new();
> I still capture input from the screen, but graphics performance is rubbish.
>
> EFL code is based on a snapshot from 20080125
>
> Anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Brian,

x11-16 is sometimes 2 times faster than regular x11, it depends on
what you are doing. There is no fb-16 yet (willing to write it? ;-)).

However in your case it's much slower, that shouldn't be the case. It
would be great to try "expedite"  with -e x11 and x11-16 and report,
at least, the first 4 tests values.

As for framebuffer an x11, they should be almost the same. We just
tested on Freescale's imx31 at 480x640 and it's not that difference.
X11 is not as bad as people claim.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems