On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:35:47 +0200 Oguz Yarimtepe <comp....@gmail.com>
> babbled:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been reading and trying EFL and its docs. I tried some
>> animations, wrote some simple EDC files, played with them from C code,
>> checked Embryo. My aim is to make windows effects like in this movie:
>> http://dist.trolltech.com/video/qtembedded44video.mov ()
>>
>> It is done via qt-embedded and i am not sure whether such animations
>> are possible by using EFL. They are like 3D effects and i am not sure
>> the 3D abilities of EFL. The current restriction for me is now i am
>> trying to run them using DirectFB.  I will be glad if you guide me
>> about this issue. ( Where to check? The logic to create such
>> animations? Which libraries can be used? .. etc.)
>
> no. evas doesn't do 3d. so you won't be able to do those. it's a 2d canvas.
> the
> dfb engine for evas is also a little  under-loved. you may also find that
> evas's plain software fb engine will outperform dfb. ask gustavo :) in fact
> evas + software +x11 in his experience beat dfb easily.

That's true, it will use OpenGL acceleration but just 2d canvas.

Als also true for DirectFB, at least in my platform (Intel CE2110)
drivers are buggy and you'll get ugly artifacts (50% transparent
rectangle on top of an opaque object will make the opaque object
semitransparent as well! Think of a PNG icon on top of a JPEG, JPEG
now becomes transparent!). I also have some #defines in DFB engine sou
you can fallback to Evas software engine, at least on this platform
and also Desktop/PC it is faster to use Evas software than
acceleration, but you can check it out youself.

If you want some numbers of DFB versus X11 versus raw FB, both
unaccelerated, see http://profusion.mobi/node/11

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems