Microsoft Network Hit By Massive Outage

Redmond WA
Aug 15 2003

Approximately 4:15pm last night, the Microsoft network suffered a massive
outage.  The Redmond-based company lost all connectivity to the Internet
as well as most internal networks.  The outage effected its world
headquarters in Redmond, as well as remote offices including Vancouver.

"It has been pretty orderly" says Ralph Seakins, a Microsoft employee who
was trapped in a parking lot.  The effects of the outage have been far
reaching, including disabling the network-aware parking lot gates.
Thousands of employees were unable to take their cars home.  Others have
been trapped in the company's cafeteria, unable to pass the turnstiles.

A KIRO news helicopter flying over the main campus witnessed just how
orderly it was.  Microsoft engineers could be seen in the grassy areas
between building carrying giant white boards and digital cameras.

"We're going to continue to code, even without our computers" indicated
Dolf  Whitney, a software engineer.  "Currently, we're writing our code on
these white boards.  Then we'll take pictures of the white boards and
transscribe them later."

While Microsoft gave no official word on the outage, Canadian officials
indicated that there was a surge of good code in Building 16 on the
Redmond campus.  This surge apparently overwelmed the local network, and
caused a cascading failure enterprise wide.

Parts of the Microsoft network were coming online Friday morning, but it
is unclear as to whether work would resume as normal before the weekend.
"A clue surge like that is hard to surpress," said Micheal Flowery, a
network engineer with the software manufacturer.  "There has been a lot of
damage.  We're talking about hours, not days."

In a press conference held at Arnold Schwarzenegger's estate, President
Bush  indicated that the federal government "will get to the bottom of
this".  The  President expressed frustration regarding the situation and
told reporters "There's no excuse for good code."