On Aug 24, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:

>> Polls are not so good, compared to reasons. Could you give your
>> rationale
>> and talk about the trade-offs, in your experience?
>
> You summed it up nicely with the hat trick:
>
> "It's a nice hat trick: privacy, higher integrity, and semantic reuse
> all in one."
>
> I'm not sure there will be anyone who can explain that any one OOP
> system is right and the others are less right. That is what I imagine
> will make consensus on this topic very difficult.. Every OOP language
> has a different set of OOP features so there doesn't appear to be an
> objective (ha!) winner after decades of programmers exploring OOP. The
> fact that this is really a subjective issue is why your initial
> request for comments seemed somewhat appropriate for a poll. It is a
> "what do you like" question.

And yet you go on to make a great non-aesthetic case, with particular
and pointed reasoning. (The delegation boilerplate for Java "has-a"
cases scores!) Thanks. I'm still inclined the same way as you and
Mark (and I believe Waldemar, at least at Oslo). IP+ZI FTW! ;-)

> I've talked about both privacy and inheritance when you only requested
> about privacy but the two issues are closely related.

Indeed. Thanks again for the thoughtful response,