Brendan Eich wrote:
> [...]
>> notion.
>
> Funny, yacc has had one for decades, used to resolve dangling-else.
>

>> The one you may be thinking of will happily accept code such as
>>
>> let (a = 5) x + y.foo = 2;
>>
>> yet the Firefox code gives a syntax error for it despite it being
>> parsable by your "grammar".
>
> Cut the misattribution of your ideas to me, based on misinterpretation
> of your "experiment". Here's what's going on:
>
> Firefox (SpiderMonkey, shown here via its REPL) throws an error:
>
> js> y = {}
> [object Object]
> js> let (a = 5) x + y.foo = 2
> typein:2: SyntaxError: invalid assignment left-hand side:
> typein:2: let (a = 5) x + y.foo = 2
> typein:2: ......................^
>
> This is an error required by ES3, but it is not a syntax error according
> to the ES3 grammar -- it is an error due to semantic checking done in
> the spec by PutValue:
>
> *11.13.1 Simple Assignment ( *= *)*
> The production /AssignmentExpression /*: */LeftHandSideExpression /*=
> */AssignmentExpression /is evaluated as follows:
> 1. Evaluate /LeftHandSideExpression/.
> 2. Evaluate /AssignmentExpression/.
> 3. Call GetValue(Result(2)).
> 4. Call PutValue(Result(1), Result(3)).
> 5. Return Result(3).
>
> *8.7.2 PutValue (V, W)*
> 1. If Type(/V/) is not Reference, throw a *ReferenceError *exception.
> 2. Call GetBase(/V/).
> 3. If Result(2) is *null*, go to step 6.
> 4. Call the [[Put]] method of Result(2), passing GetPropertyName(/V/)
> for the property name and W for the value.
> 5. Return.
> 6. Call the [[Put]] method for the global object, passing
> GetPropertyName(/V/) for the property name and W for the
> value.
> 7. Return.
>
> SpiderMonkey historically used SyntaxError, not ReferenceError, and
> throw at compile-time. This pre-dates ES1. Another example not involving
> let expressions:
>
> js> a + b = c
> typein:1: SyntaxError: invalid assignment left-hand side:
> typein:1: a + b = c
> typein:1: ......^
>
>  From ES3 chapter 16:
>
> An implementation may treat any instance of the following kinds of
> runtime errors as a syntax error and therefore
> report it early:
> • Improper uses of *return*, *break*, and *continue*.
> • Using the *eval *property other than via a direct call.
> • Errors in regular expression literals.
> • Attempts to call PutValue on a value that is not a reference (for
> example, executing the assignment statement
> 3=4).
>
> You may object that we should throw ReferenceError not SyntaxError --
> that is not entirely clear from the chapter 16 wording, but it is at
> most a bug unrelated to our disagreement, and it doesn't prove any claim
> that primary expressions ending in assignment expressions are ambiguous

According to the "grammar" you provided, this expression is valid.  It means

(let (a = 5) x + y).foo = 2

The parser is required to backtrack until it either finds an expansion of the
grammar that doesn't generate a syntax error or until it discovers that they
all do.  You can choose to make additional syntax errors as per chapter 16, but
that does not relieve you of the backtracking requirement.

>>> So what's the real problem?
>>
>> I said it already.  The problem is that you don't have a valid grammar.
>
> You have not demonstrated that claim.

Brendan, how many more times do I have to explain this?  For example, the
statement

a = let (b = c) c + d;

is ambiguous according to the grammar and can parse as both:

a = (let (b = c) c) + d;

and

a = let (b = c) (c + d);

There is nothing written that prevents an implementation from taking either
view of it, and it would conform to the "grammar".

>> Other examples:  What does the following do?
>>
>> for (a = let (b = c) b in d) ...
>
> SyntaxError because no ; after first expression in for (;;) loop head.

It can't be a SyntaxError.  It's a perfectly valid for-in statement.

    Waldemar