> I'll address this last point first, since this seems to be the core issue.
> The question I am raising is: given soft fields, why do we need private names?

I didn't see that asked as a question; I saw it asserted, but not opened for
discussion.

And I disagree. Now, I happen to think it's not worth blessing libraries simply
because they could be optimized, but I do not see soft fields as supplanting
private names -- especially because of usability -- but especially because I
happen to like weak maps very much, and very much hope for a world where ES a)
makes it easy to write (any number of) soft field libraries and b) makes it
*easy* to store encapsulated data in objects.

Dave