> I never said I don't want syntactic support. I said I don't like the syntax
> you proposed. You and Dave have now both said that you consider this to be
> the main issue.

Hm, I certainly didn't intend to say that. I'm not quite sure what you're
referring to that I said. I don't necessarily have a single sine-qua-non in
this design space. Sorry I haven't been as clear as I should have.

There's a lot going by in this conversation, and I don't want to add too much
noise, but I do want to emphasize something: the various options we've
discussed *all* have a syntactic component, even if we separate out the
|private| syntax. Brendan mentioned this in reply to David-Sarah, but I think
it's worth repeating: whether in the soft fields approach or the private names
approach, <expr>[<expr>] is overloaded in a new way.

Maybe that's the key sticking point for me about the soft fields approach:
overloading that syntax to mean lookup in a side table is what seems like a
drastic break from the intuitive model of objects. I have nothing against side
tables as a programming idiom; it's when you make them look like they aren't
side tables that they become confusing. Especially when you can do
counter-intuitive things like add new properties to a frozen object. Of course,
there are clearly use cases where you want to associate new data with a frozen
object, and convenience would be helpful. I'm just not convinced that making it
look like ordinary object lookup is the right programmer-interface. So yes,
it's a syntax issue, but it's a syntax issue that frames the mental model, and
I think that matters.

What am I saying with all this? Not sure. I'm disheartened at the level of
controversy too, but I think it's worth pushing through, because as a JS
programmer, I really feel the lack of private fields-or-properties (with
apologies to the English language... trying to remain diplomatic here...) in
day-to-day programming.

Dave