On 11.11.2011 14:44, François REMY wrote:
I didn't read your first mail, I've to acknowledge. That doesn't change the fact the sample was reinventing the wheel.

I still don't see how your this sentence helps taking into account that I myself noted this case, sorry.

BTW,your samples all suffer from a big ambuiguity that I think is unresolvable.

   let a = if (foo) {
      print('a is foo');
      foo;
   } else {
      // do some longer stuff
   };

How do you know "foo" is an expression that should be assigned to "a" and that "print('a...')" is not?

Please concentrate on the main problem. Don't consider now some small non-essential issues of examples. In this proposal and the exact example it doesn't matter what is `foo` and to what it can be assigned.

In ECMAScript, each statement returns a value.

At implementation level. And it's good. It means the implementation will not require much modifications, since e.g. Block statement (12.1, ES5.1) returns as a result the value of last evaluated statement. So the thing is just allow this result to be assigned to the LHS. In other words, the ability to make the block and other statements as RHS, e.g. to make them expressions.

There's no way to find out if the statement is a "normal" statement or a "value" statement. To my understanding, there's no.

   let a = try {
       if(test()) {
           translate("test was true")
       } else {
           translate("test was false")
       }
   } catch(ex) {
       translate("test has raised an exception")
   }

Yes, this is completely OK. No worries for implementation. The only thing is to allow this `try` be RHS of the assignment. Now it's a syntax error.

Secondly, is it worth modifying the UA's compilers and JS syntax? What's what you gain, in terms of readability, in terms of facility, ... ?

I think it worth. Again, after Erlang I felt inconvenient that I have to (1) declare a var above and (2) provide assigned to the var in two (e.g.) if branches. I want to write only one assignment and to tell that the result of the assignment is the result of evaluating this complex expression. It's more convenient than to look inside long block body and to understand whether it assigns to outer var or not.

PS: I don't know what is the "do" syntax you reference but I guess it solves the ambiguity problem by creating a kind of "block lambda". Value statements can be recognized by a "return" statement inside the block.

   let a = do {
       if(test()) {
           return translate("...");
       } else {
           return translate("...");

In such case "do { ... }" is just a sugar for (function() { ...})(). It could be used to make more beautiful the "module" pattern used in many codes now.

Yep. Though, we have already such a sugar for immediately applied lambda -- it's a let-statement:

let (a = 10, b = 20) {
  // do stuff
}

in many implementations are just a sugar of

(function (a, b) {
  // do stuff
})(10, 20);

Dmitry.