11/11/2011 08:07, Dmitry Soshnikov :

> Hi,
>>
>> (unfortunately Twitter is again doesn't fit for a more than 140 ch
>> discussion, so moving here)
>>
>> I'd like to still notice the possibility of accepting the "almost
>> everything is expression" approach for JS. After Erlang I very often miss
>> this possibility.
>>
>> The idea is to make most of current complex statements as expressions.
>>
>> Dave mentioned the proposal with `do { ... }` -- yeah, it's fine, but
>> much nicer is to have "all of them" as expressions. CoffeeScript adopted
>> this style as well.
>>
>> Besides, I'd like to note, that the thing is not just "interesting
>> theoretical stuff", but really is very convenient and useful in practice.
>>
>> Examples:
>>
>> 1. Switch-expression (as addition, I eliminated `break`)
>>
>> let a = switch (foo) {
>>  case 10: 100;
>>  default: 200;
>> };
>>
>> 2. If-expression:
>>
>> let a = if (foo) {
>>  print('a is foo');
>>  foo;
>> } else {
>>  // do some longer stuff
>> };

I think this is a bad idea, the difference between a block and expression
is difficult enough to decide (from a sandboxing perspective). It would
also make missing semi-colons continue the expression and make it really
hard for the developer to track down the error and cause unintended
behaviour. It adds to the complexity of deciding if a curly is a block or
literal and if a "/" is a divide or regexp (which is difficult enough in
JavaScript). How on earth would this be backwards compatible too?

>> We of course already have for years the expression sugar for this -- ? :
>> operator, but it doesn't allow to conveniently have longer bodies of
>> consequent and alternative nodes of if-expression.

I'm pretty sure it does: 0?0:0?0:2