Thanks for this analysis. I globally agree with your reasoning, but I don't think this is much of a problem.

Certainly, dependency analysis isn't completely effective, in the sense that each time you get 'out' of your 'observable world', you may miss updates. This is, however, not such a big issue as most binding languages feature that kind of 'issues', even your 'observe' API. This is just a fact that 'Math.random()' and 'window.innerWidth' can't be observed, and it's up to the developer to make sure it they are not in their code, just like it's your reponsability to notify for accessors if you're using 'Object.observe'.

Most of the times, when you're binding your View to you Model, your model only lives in a particular world where it only interacts with other model objects, so that you can control completely the model world to make it observable, and you shouldn't have 'lost' dependency issues.

However, when there's no other possibilities (but it's really rare) than to use 'unobservable' properties, the only solution left to you is to use an event-based approach ('window.innerWidth + window.onresize') or perform polling ('Math.random() + setInterval'). My own JS library has something similar called 'binding bridges' which basically maps the properties of an object to its dynamic value, and updates them has necessary using a custom model (event or setInterval) :

   var BindingBridges = Object.makeBindable({});
   BindingBridges.add = function(name,evaluator,timespan) {
       BindableObject.methods.addProperty.call(this,name);
       BindingBridges[name] = evaluator();
       setInterval(function() {
           var cValue = evaluator();
           if (BindingBridges[name]==cValue) { return; }
           else { BindingBridges[name]=cValue; }
       }, timespan);
   }
   // you could also use an event-driven approach and
   // set BindingBridges.property to its new value at
   // each call of the event, instead.

Developers relying on unobservable things can use such mechanism to solve their issue. For example, in my 'mail' template application, the time was displayed as 'seconds ago', 'less than 1 minute ago', '? minutes ago', '? hours ago', ... and was relying on a 'BindingBridge.now' property which was updated using setInterval every 20 seconds or so.

As for the observation of an array, the classical 'dependency' pattern is sufficient, most of the times, since you'll depends on the 'array.length' property of your array (when an item is inserted or deleted, you'll be notified) and on the 'array[i]' value you touched.

   var o = {
       values: [0,1,5,-3],
       get max() {
           var max = Number.negativeInfinity;
           this.values.forEach(
               (i) => (i>max && max=i)
           );
           return max;

   Object.makeBindable(o);
   new Binding(=> o.max, v => $("#min").textContent=v);
   o.values.push(-10); // works
   o.value[o.values.length-1] = 3; // works

However, listening to a collection is something different from listening to a simple object. My own JS library used a BindableArray class which, indeed, generated 'insert' and 'delete' events in addition to the tradtionnal 'update' events, as well as a HTMLForEachBinding which listened specifically to array events and managed the DOM as a close copy of the array using a binding template; those 'insert' and 'delete' events could be transferred to a 'made-observable' arrays.

-----Message d'origine----- From: Rafael Weinstein