Hi Tom, as you and I discussed in chat, "(base case) there are no built-in
private symbols in a standard JS environment (i.e. all the built-in symbols
are unique)" is a bad misunderstanding of the utility of membranes.
Membranes (and membrane-like patterns) are useful and needed at many
finer-grains than realms. It is not safe to assume that no private symbols
exist on both sides of any membrane. I think proposal #1 is fatally
insecure. I'm glad you like #2.

Btw, there's a terminology problem, assuming you were referring to Joe-E's
distinctions: In Joe-E terminology, private symbols are *immutable* but not
*powerless*. (In E terms, private symbols are *DeepFrozen* but not *
DeepPassByCopy* or *Data*.)

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM