> OK. It surprised me, because `get` is so much about inheritance chains.
>
> I’ve not seen a rationale for the proxy invariants anywhere (including
> your technical report on proxies). Can I read up on it somewhere?

Do you mean the rationale for looking only at "own" properties, or more
generally the rationale behind invariant checking in proxies? If the
latter, then the best rationale is written up in our ECOOP13 paper Trustworthy
proxies: virtualising objects with invariants
<http://research.google.com/pubs/pub40736.html>. If the former, this is
kind of self-evident when looking at the invariants already described in
ES5 (in particular, section 8.6.2
<http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/#sec-8.6.2>).
Non-configurability and non-extensibility never involve the prototype
chain. They only apply to individual own properties or individual objects,
never to prototype chains of objects.

> In general, the proxy parts of the spec are very readable. Especially the
> summary of the invariants in each section on internal proxy properties is
> helpful.

Thanks! (credit also goes to AllenWB and MarkM for refining those
invariants)

Cheers,
Tom