[snip]

> So if you export an opaque identity that you created yourself, and don't
> expose some mechanism for downstream consumers to know what it means,
> you're handing a bag of meaningless tokens which are, by definition,
> completely useless to them.

I should add: if you only intend to default-export a *single* symbol, this
is not semantically meaningless. It may be possible to infer some kind of
meaning from the module path of the import. I'm not convinced this is
valuable, but it seems like something which could be made to work.

My point only holds when not doing a default-export of a symbol -- e.g.
using symbol keys on a default-exported object or using unregistered
symbols as export bindings (if this were even possible).