Hi all,

Back in 2015 I was working on a proposal for the "package" keyword, but
stopped prematurely as ES6/ES2015 had already been shipped. Since then I've
been occasionally iterating on it anyway in order to flesh out my ideas
with how it could fit with the new import syntax. I wanted to share with
the mailing list to get some feedback on it, as well as help facilitate
some of the discussion regarding future import syntax.

Proposal can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/Cleod9/7f73017905d124210ec8

I should note that a lot of this is derived from an ActionScript to
JavaScript proof-of-concept transpiler I wrote a few years back. (Live
demo: https://as3js.org/demo/ ). I believe this type of package
syntax/behavior has already been possible since ES5, although I have yet to
find any proposals for the keyword that resemble that of battle-tested
languages like Java/C#.

I think there are a lot of time-saving qualities that packages could
provide for bundled JS applications we have yet to explore, and it could
even open the door to a JS standard library. Even if this doesn't go
anywhere I certainly hope by making this proposal public it will be a
useful for reference for what is possible in the current state of affairs.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

P.S. Screen-cap of a potential IDE future with packages:
http://i.imgur.com/D5EGNUN.gifv