Hi again,

I still work on running Mitsubishi JET servo drives. We managed to run with DC
synchronized to slave reference clock. When we check Wireshark data, “System
Time Register” 0x910 is transferred with FRMW command. But engineers from
Mitsubishi had told us Beckhoff Ethercat master is using ARMW command for
“System Time Register” 0x910. Honestly, I don’t have any idea why, but they
claim this command difference causes synchronization problem. What do you think
about this topic?

Also, I checked the source, but couldn’t found usage of ARMW command. Is there
any example for ARMW command?

Best regards,
Celil

Hi,

How should we use DC to synchronize to the slave reference clock? I implemented
it by looking at the rtai_rtdm example. But it's not working as desired.

I guess I'm missing something. I would expect to change my sleep times to
synchronize to slave clock. I couldn't see something like that.

* How can I stop drifting my send time relative to slave clock?

* Also, how can I measure the time I'm sending relative to cycle start of the
slave clock? Can I just modulo the value returned by
ecrt_master_reference_clock_time() to the cycle time?

For a little background:

We are using EtherCAT master for several years. We are using PREEMPT_RT patch
with ubuntu 16.04, kernel 4.9.178. We had downloaded Gavin Lambert's unofficial
patch sets a few years ago.

Normally we are using master PC as the master clock. This option is mentioned
as option a in various mails in the mail list.

With this method we successfully integrated many servo motor drives from
several vendors. We are generally using 1ms and 2ms cycle times on different
machines.

We have recently added Mitsubishi Jet EtherCAT series to our database. Although
this drive is working fine under lab conditions, somehow it gave
synchronization errors from time to time at the machine. There are 4 drives and
several IOs from Beckhoff on the bus.

Mitsubishi engineers claim that, the problem occurs because we are not
synchronized to the slave reference clock. And ask us to change our mechanism
to synchronize the master PC to the reference slave. This method is also
described as the option b in mail list.

So I copied the related blocks from rtai_rtdm example in the examples folder. I
modified RTAI specific functions to user space functions. At our lab we are
testing two Jet drives connected to our master PC. The drives are changing to
OP mode and I can control the position and speed.

There is no error in dmesg messages. Also no error on the display of the
drives. But I hear knocking sounds in every few minutes while rotating.

It seems my send time is drifting relative to slave clock. But I don't see how
can I stop drifting.

Best regards,

Celil