I've used a few of the packages mentioned, Audacity and snd
but most of the kernel bits are for if you are wanting to do things like make your
workstation be the synthesizer for a midi device.(aka, real time preemptive interrupts)

Neat project, I know someone who might be into trying it out, musician, not programmer...tho

most of the packages are available elsewhwer and you need not be stuck
using red hat (in fact it rather looks as though the project may have been ported from debian since
all the packages are delivered as .deb's)