Jason wrote:

> Yeah, I usually rebuild the kernel as a first step.
> That way if I foobar anything, it's an easy rebuild
> w/o too much hoohah.

One of the nice things about the default Gentoo kernel is that it has
a file, /proc/config.  It's a copy of the .config file the kernel was
built with.  Very convenient when you're upgrading the kernel.

It's a patch for 2.4 (I think it's in vanilla 2.6), and I don't like
to bother with patches, so Gentoo is the only place I've ever seen it.

As for how difficult Gentoo is, take a look at the x86 install guide.
When you complete this doc, you're ready to start installing X, Gnome
or KDE, Mozilla, OO.o, etc.

        http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

I will stand by my estimate of a week.

kbobsoft software consulting