What it sounded like to me was a out of date rpm database. Mandrake 7.2 used RPM
v3.somthingorotherithinkitwas.0.5 (another indian name), while Redhat 9 used 4.2. If
you did do an "upgrade" from Mandrake to Redhat (you are braver than I) then it is
probably an issue of an out of date db. There are ways to rebuild it, but not if you
can get a shell.... Good luck.

Garl