Does anyone know of a good resource to help decode the intricacies of make
(BSD make in this case although gmake _should_ be bug compatible)

specifically the default suffix and filename expansion rules which do not seem to be
listed in the man page .

so far I've found Fowler's original paper, and the gnu documentation page
but nothing that answers my question.

which is, where are the suffix expansion rules defined?

--
"You are the eventuality of an anomaly , which despite my sincerest
efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony