Mark Turner wrote:
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Mr O <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is anyone using any sort of document management program on
 linux? I'm looking for something that'd allow me to create a
 file containing customer information (name, number, work
 performed) and allow me to attach PDF files to the 'account'.
 Something along the lines of a helpdesk but without creating
 logins. Ideally it'd be a SQL database so it could be portable
 and not dependent upon any ONE distro.

 Things I've looked at so far: OTRS, Zimbra, SugarCRM. OTRS seems
 to have what I'm looking for but wants more than I really want
 to give it. I may go ahead and try to work with it but I'm also
 soliciting input.

It really sounds like you want a CRM, so I'm wondering what Sugar didn't have that you want, or have that you didn't.

If you want a general document management system, Plone isn't bad at all. Although it's often billed as a content management
system, when that content can be anything you want you end up with document management. The backend is an object database
so that fits your transportable between different versions criterion.

Have you looked at alfresco? http://www.alfresco.com/
Its a pretty robust app that I am deploying at work (newspapers) for a
similar purpose as you.

So how has alfresco deployment been, so far? I looked at that once and tried to get it going to no avail,
 though I have to admit I didn't try that hard.

                                                                                            J. Toman