It's been a few years, but I don't recall having any problems with
clean-installing a dual boot set-up so long as WinXP is installed
first. But it's possible I was running WinXP on FAT32 then rather than
NTFS. I don't remember.

At the same time, I think it's far more useful than dual-booting to
run Linux as a virtual guest on a VM running atop a Windows host.
Doesn't work so well for me the other way around because WinXP runs
like molasses on a VM.

I agree on multiple defrag runs if installing Linux after Windows has
had time to fragment the NTFS partition. It also seems to matter quite
a bit which defragger you use. E.g., Diskeeper 2007 does much better
for me in consolidating files at the beginning of an NTFS partition
than Diskeeper 2010.

Best regards,

Paul